The History of St. John the Evangelist Catholic School
In 1948 Bishop O'Connor broke ground for a new parochial school which was designed by John Flad and Associates. The school opened in 1949 with an enrollment of 129 pupils in eight grades. It contained five classrooms and living quarters for the Sisters, and was dedicated by Bishop O'Connor on November 13, 1949. The seventh & eighth grades were dropped in the fall of 1968 when the River Valley Jr. High opened. The Home and School Organization was established in 1975 and the School Board (now the Education Commission) in 1979. The school building has been remodeled since then. The preschool program started in the fall of 1988. Due to changes in the River Valley School District, St. John's sixth grade was discontinued in 1997. In 2019, sixth grade was again added with unanimous registration of the 2018 fifth grade students choosing to stay at St. John's.